Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
[T. S. ELIOT, The Love Song of Alfred Profruck]
I am a huge fan of T. S. Eliot. And yet, I only own two copies of his work; one, a collection of poems about cats [a creature I cannot even stand] and a book of criticism. This is considerably sad, because I love Eliot. A great deal.
I've been wanting to actually own a copy of all his poems, to pull out whenever I need to to satisfy my recurring cravings for him. I found a book at Powell's for $13, which is very cheap, considering that it's everything he's ever written. However, it's too big for me to carry, and at the time, I couldn't afford it. So, I have decided to write all of his poems into a notebook. Or several, judging by the size of my handwriting. I'm actually very excited for this, though I know it'll take a while. I started writing tonight, and the first poem I chose was "The Love Song of Alfred Profruck", which is one of his first and most popular ones.
Eliot is simple in how he writes, but at the same time, he's very descriptive. While copying down the quote above, I had to stop and think: What footprint am I leaving in my time here on earth? Is my life really worth it? All the books I read, the games I play, the conversations I have, can quickly be forgotten in a second. Every choice I make may not have a lasting impact on the future. Why try when life can be forgotten in an instant? Yes, the life I lead has its consequences in Heaven, but will people's lives be changed? It's got that whole Christian concept to it. I mean, we're told that we're but aliens, and our real homes are in Heaven. But who doesn't like to think that somewhere, someone will remember us with affection and tell people, "That person was a good soul." It's not a humble thing to think, but I know I want to be remembered. Fondly, of course.
Hmmm... I'm no good at this analytical thing, as you can tell. My thoughts tend to get all jumbled together, and I jump from here to there without warning. I think I'll go and sleep on it.
No comments:
Post a Comment